RE: New full Unicode for ES6 idea

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 08:57:06 -0800
To: Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.com>
CC: Wes Garland <wes@page.ca>, Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, "mranney@voxer.com" <mranney@voxer.com>, es-discuss discussion <es-discuss@mozilla.org>

> I meant ECMA-262 punts source normalization upstream in the spec pipeline
> that runs parallel to the browser's loading-the-URL | processing-what-was-
> loaded pipeline. ECMA-262 is concerned only with its little slice of processing
> heaven.

Yep. One of the problems is that the source script may not be using a Unicode encoding or may be using a Unicode encoding and be serialized in a non-normalized form. Your slice of processing heaven treats Unicode-normalization-equivalent-yet-different-codepoint-sequence tokens as unequal. Not that this is a bad thing.

> > By contrast, providing a method for normalizing strings would be useful.
> /summon Norbert.

(hides the breakables, listens for thunder)

Addison