Re: Schema.org and OWL

Cheers Thad, anything you'd recommend I read to learn more?

I think Martin's point about passing information from product types to
product instances can be addressed higher in the hierarchy than Product
actually. I sense people are opposed to shifting properties from more
specific types to Thing though (maybe I don't understand something, can
someone please explain that to me?) My view is that using overly specific
domains for properties causes strange entailment, e.g. in its current form
the "height" property entails the subject is either a MediaObject, Person,
Product, or VisualArtwork, which doesn't seem right.

A more general solution, which might benefit other parts of Schema, might
look like the following:

*Thing*
    height
    width
    depth
    weight
    material
    color
    predecessorOf
    successorTo
    variantOf
        *Product*
            offers

*ThingType*
    heightOfTypicalInstances
    widthOfTypicalInstances
    depthOfTypicalInstances
    weightOfTypicalInstances
    materialOfTypicalInstances
    colorOfTypicalInstances
    predecessorTypeOf
    successorTypeTo
    variantTypeOf
*        ProductType*
            offersOfTypicalInstances

This isn't complete obviously, and I understand how big a change it would
be, happy if it just stimulates other ideas I guess.

On Martin's other point about distinguishing individual products from
groups of products, I don't think IndividualProduct is required once
SomeProducts is removed from beneath Product (where it incorrectly sits
now) - once you do that all Products are individual products unless
additionally typed as SomeProducts.

When I first came across Schema the Products part was the hardest part to
grasp because it doesn't follow the rest of Schema, it has its own
specialized logic. The following structure could possibly be a remedy:

*Product*
*ProductType*
*SomeProducts*

I understand the magnitude of the change practically, but from a logical
point of view does anybody see something this structure would miss?

Anthony