Re: Schema.org and OWL

Dear Anthony:

I am not sure where this discussion is heading to. Schema.org is not an attempt to create a logically consistent model of the world, but instead to provide a shared conceptual structure that facilitates data interoperability between Web content and applications that consume this data. This problem has way more dimensions than logical consistency.

You may want to read the following paper that sketches a few core paradigms of schema.org:

    https://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?ref=rss&id=2857276

Please do not get me wrong, but trying to propose a big reorganization based on the search for "one true logical model of the world" is not likely to succeed in here. Many people who worked on schema.org have actually been working with Cyc, read the OntoClean works, and been exposed to a lot of the academic debates about ontology engineering.

But schema.org is much more than an ontology in the classical CS sense. Schema.org is surely not perfect, but many of the current parts may seem inconsistent at first but were not designed that way due to lack of expertise or dedication to detail.

For instance, it really matters whether the conceptual distinctions the model provides can be understood by the broad users of schema.org, and that they are easy to populate from existing databases. Optimality for something like schema.org is to be measured by the actual amount and quality / usefulness of data on the Web, from the perspective of its major consumers.

Martin

martin hepp  http://www.heppnetz.de
mhepp@computer.org          @mfhepp