Re: Getting CreativeWork Relationships done

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Tom Morris <tfmorris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl> wrote:
>

>> Is there a group call, soon, where Chaals and a couple FRBR experts could
>> attend?
>>

> Is FRBR the right target here?  It's been around over 15 years without
> getting any traction and even the library community appears to be moving
> away from it with their new "next big thing," BIBFRAME.

Which is basically rooted in the FRBR model (albeit simplified).

> I've looked at the "common endeavor" a few times and have never been able
> to associate it in my mind with a real world concept that I'm familiar
> with.  I know about books being revised with new editions, translated into
> other languages, adapted for the stage, those plays being performed, the
> performances being filmed, screenplays being written using the original
> story, etc, but common endeavor?  It seems to add complexity without any
> additional value.
>
> Look, I was working with the tools at hand: 'endeavour' was the term used
in FRBR to describe the entire abstract WEMI stack.  The point of
commonEndeavour is the /opposite/ of how you're taking it, it seems.  It
lets you relate two distinct things without worrying about where in the
WEMI they are the same: so you can have a reference to the Illiad printed
last year, in English, and relate it to one in Greek and say you're talking
about the same story without worrying about the specifics (and, especially,
the disjoints) you would run into any other way.

-Ross.