Re: Getting CreativeWork Relationships done

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your input and offer to participate in a call - I’ll share the Doodle if enough are interested.

I agree with your 'The problems of implementing RDA have very little to do with the conceptual and data models of RDA’ comment, and your reasoning why there have been problems.  I also agree that FRBR/RDA are capable of capturing in detail most any concept relationship in this area that you can come across.

Unfortunately, or fortunately dependant on your point of view, Schema.org<http://Schema.org> is aimed at general web masters broadly across the web, not detailed and focussed description of bibliographic resources to a level comparable to library cataloguing practice.

SchemaBibExtend’s approach has been to recommend extensions/enhancements to Schema.org<http://Schema.org> which make available to the community some of the high-level principles from the bibliographic world (enabling description of Articles with Periodicals for instance) that do not require understanding of FRBR principles to use, and do not over complicate the use of many of the several non-biliographic sub-types of CreativeWork e.g.. Recipe, Diet, MusicPlaylist, Movie, etc.

It will be possible for instance to describe individual works, expressions, manifestations, items using Schema.org<http://Schema.org> - using multiple typing between CreativeWork and Product based types. However properties such as 'has expression manifested’ or 'is motion picture adaptation of’ were felt to be too specific for general adoption.  This is where the more generic exampleOfWork and workExample came from.  As the description of a FRBR Work, Expression, Manifestation, or Item [in Schema.org<http://Schema.org>]  is based either on CreativeWork or one of its sub-types, this naming makes sense.

~Richard