Re: Getting CreativeWork Relationships done

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl> wrote:

> Is there a group call, soon, where Chaals and a couple FRBR experts could
> attend?

Is FRBR the right target here?  It's been around over 15 years without
getting any traction and even the library community appears to be moving
away from it with their new "next big thing," BIBFRAME.

I've looked at the "common endeavor" a few times and have never been able
to associate it in my mind with a real world concept that I'm familiar
with.  I know about books being revised with new editions, translated into
other languages, adapted for the stage, those plays being performed, the
performances being filmed, screenplays being written using the original
story, etc, but common endeavor?  It seems to add complexity without any
additional value.

I agree with many of Chaals' points including the call for the
simplification and less redundancy.

Some other comments:

- I don't see where the translator's name or the date of translation gets
stored.  I'm assuming that the language pair is encoded as part of the
entities on either end of the link.
- I'm not sure I see why a photo of the Mona Lisa should get some special
treatment as compared to a photo of a sailboat.  Aren't the Mona Lisa and
the sailboat just the subjects of the creative work that is the
photographic image?
- the existing CreativeWork definition is kind of a jumble.  I don't know
if cleaning it up is out of scope, but things like the isBasedOnUrl
property are going to clash with any new stuff in this space.

Finally, I agree with Dan that, in many ways, an email discussion is
preferable to an ephemeral phone call.

Tom