Re: Updated Example to reflect proposed Audiobook type

Richard,  Both an abridged and an unabridged audiobook are "common
endeavors" with regard to the original print version of that expression
of the work. Since that sentence is convoluted...

1. Voijna i Mir = Work
2. War & Peace (text/print/translation of Work) = version of Work
3. War & Peace (abridged text/print/based on 2) = Version of Work
(although it may be based on #2)
4. War & Peace (audiobook, unabridged) = Version of War & Peace
(text/print/2) (assuming it was read from print book at 2)
5. War & Peace (audiobook, abridged) = Verison of War & Peace (text/print/2)

However, in fact you often do not know which exact print version was
used for the audio reading, and the abridged version is probably not an
abridgement of the *reading* of the full version, but a reading from an
abridged text prepared for the abridged audiobook. But I will check on that.

So both print and audio abridgements are versions of the Work, and there
may be more precise relationships between those versions but one
shouldn't count on that information being available. Thus I would expect
that the main connection would be made by virtue of having the same
author and title, and not much more.

As for whether 'abridged' is a boolean, in fact the word "ABRIDGED" or
"UNABRIDGED" appear prominently by themselves on most audiobook pages:

http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B00B29ZIO6
http://www.amazon.com/Arguably-Essays-by-Christopher-Hitchens/dp/B005KFQ8GA
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/heat-wave-richard-castle/1100260422?ean=9781400114252

The property is conceptually "note on abridgement" but the terms
"abridged/unabridged" need to appear in the user display. Treating it
like a boolean would mean displaying "yes" or "no" rather than
"abridged" or "unabridged." Remember, we are marking up displays.

not

This is analogous to:

There may be something better to call it than "abridged" - but I
couldn't think of anything at the time. I am in touch now with some
audiobook publishers so I can ask them these questions. This information
should not be in a general note, though, because it has particular
significance for the sales of audiobooks. I'll ask my contacts for
better terminology.

kc

--
Karen Coyle