Re: Linked Data Platform Wikipedia Entry Draft

Thanks for your comments! I now have:

“Linked Data Platform (LDP) is a Linked Data specification defining a
set of integration patterns for building RESTful HTTP services that
are capable of read-write of RDF data. ...
The Linked Data Platform allows use of RESTful HTTP to consume,
create, update and delete both RDF and non-RDF resources.[5] In
addition, it defines a set of "Container" constructs—buckets into
which documents can be added with a relationship between the bucket
and the object similar to the relationship between a blog and its
constituent blog posts.[6]”
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linked_Data_Platform)

History:

LDP evolved from work at IBM's Rational Product Group for application
integration. Starting in 2010, IBM looked at linked data for
application lifecycle management and sought what was an alternative
means for read-write Linked Data.
Read-Write Linked data was previously described using WebDAV and
SPARQL/UPDATE[8] by Tim Berners-Lee
in his design issues [1],[2] that built upon his 4 rules for linked data [3].

IBM joined with the W3C in June 2012 to form a working group.
It consisted of “50 particpants from 30 organizations”[7], and was
chaired by Arnaud J Le Hors. On 26 February
2015, the W3C Linked Data Platform 1.0 was approved as a W3C Recommendation [4].

The linked data platform includes Tim Berners-Lee's 4 rules, and focuses on the
following concepts:

-LDP Resources (LDPR)
  - HTTP and RDF techniques to read and write linked data
  - Resources can be created, modified, deleted and read using
standard HTTP methods
    (i.e.,POST,PUT/PATCH,DELETE,GET)
  - Cover "RDF sources" as well as "binary resources"

- LDP Containers (LDPC)
  - An LDPR to which you POST to create new things, GET to find existing things
  - Similar to what AtomPub does for XML
  - Available in three flavors: BasicContainer, DirectContainer, and
IndirectContainer

- Paging & Ordering
  - A mechanism to get the content of a LDPC in chunks and specify the
order in which the
    content is sorted”[7]

LDP is not a file system, but it uses Linked Data to produce the kind of
information that can be used to create a modern file system abstraction
for interacting with HTTP-accessible resources (colloquially referred to
as "Web Resouces").

In contrast, WebDAV is a "set of extensions to the HTTP protocol which
allows users to collaboratively edit and manage files on remote web servers"[9].
However, LDP can be used with WebDAV. For example, to load load
Kingsley Idenhen's
WebDAV repository with one of Tim Berners-Lee's LDP containers:

curl -ikLH "Origin: (I will throw this in if ok)" -H "Accept:
text/turtle" https://id.myopenlink.net/DAV/home/KingsleyUyiIdehen/RWW/

Note: this requires authentication an authorization with WebID, ACL,
and TLS  using an x.509 certificate. See the SOLiD spec[10].

(actually, example.com works just fine, strike out the line above)

See also

Apache Marmotta
Fedora Commons
SOLiD