Re: Linked Data Platform Wikipedia Entry Draft

On 4/21/17 3:39 PM, Brent Shambaugh wrote:
> Thanks for your comments! I now have:
>
> “Linked Data Platform (LDP) is a Linked Data specification defining a
> set of integration patterns for building RESTful HTTP services that
> are capable of read-write of RDF data. ...
> The Linked Data Platform allows use of RESTful HTTP to consume,
> create, update and delete both RDF and non-RDF resources.[5] In
> addition, it defines a set of "Container" constructs—buckets into
> which documents can be added with a relationship between the bucket
> and the object similar to the relationship between a blog and its
> constituent blog posts.[6]”
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linked_Data_Platform)
>
> History:
>
> LDP evolved from work at IBM's Rational Product Group for application
> integration. Starting in 2010, IBM looked at linked data for
> application lifecycle management and sought what was an alternative
> means for read-write Linked Data.
> Read-Write Linked data was previously described using WebDAV and
> SPARQL/UPDATE[8] by Tim Berners-Lee
> in his design issues [1],[2] that built upon his 4 rules for linked data [3].
>
> IBM joined with the W3C in June 2012 to form a working group.
> It consisted of “50 particpants from 30 organizations”[7], and was
> chaired by Arnaud J Le Hors. On 26 February
> 2015, the W3C Linked Data Platform 1.0 was approved as a W3C Recommendation [4].
>
> The linked data platform includes Tim Berners-Lee's 4 rules, and focuses on the
> following concepts:
>
> -LDP Resources (LDPR)
>   - HTTP and RDF techniques to read and write linked data
>   - Resources can be created, modified, deleted and read using
> standard HTTP methods
>     (i.e.,POST,PUT/PATCH,DELETE,GET)
>   - Cover "RDF sources" as well as "binary resources"
>
> - LDP Containers (LDPC)
>   - An LDPR to which you POST to create new things, GET to find existing things
>   - Similar to what AtomPub does for XML
>   - Available in three flavors: BasicContainer, DirectContainer, and
> IndirectContainer
>
> - Paging & Ordering
>   - A mechanism to get the content of a LDPC in chunks and specify the
> order in which the
>     content is sorted”[7]

Okay, so far.

I think a new heading start's from this point. For instance "LDP and
WebDAV Relationship" .

> LDP is not a file system, but it uses Linked Data to produce the kind of
> information that can be used to create a modern file system abstraction
> for interacting with HTTP-accessible resources (colloquially referred to
> as "Web Resouces").
>
> In contrast, WebDAV is a "set of extensions to the HTTP protocol which
> allows users to collaboratively edit and manage files on remote web servers"[9].
> However, LDP can be used with WebDAV.

Okay.

> For example, to load load
> Kingsley Idenhen's
> WebDAV repository with one of Tim Berners-Lee's LDP containers:

The statement above is confusing.

You might consider:

For example, there are live LDP containers in the wild, identified by
Linked Data URIs, that can also function as WebDAV endpoints i.e.,
mountable by any WebDAV compliant User Agent.

> curl -ikLH "Origin: (I will throw this in if ok)" -H "Accept:
> text/turtle" https://id.myopenlink.net/DAV/home/KingsleyUyiIdehen/RWW/
>
> Note: this requires authentication an authorization with WebID, ACL,
> and TLS  using an x.509 certificate. See the SOLiD spec[10].
>
> (actually, example.com works just fine, strike out the line above)
>
> See also
>
> Apache Marmotta
> Fedora Commons
> SOLiD

> [1] https://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/CloudStorage.html
> [2] https://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/ReadWriteLinkedData.html
> [3] https://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
> [4] "Linked Data Platform (LDP) is a W3C Recommendation". W3C.
> [5] Mihindukulasooriya, Nandana (2014-11-05). "Learning W3C Linked
> Data Platform with examples".
> [6] Burleson, Cory (10 July 2014). "Introduction to: Linked Data
> Platform". semanticweb.com.
> [7] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxkFS8r3OUE&t=2756s
> [8] https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-update/
> [9] http://webdav.org/
> [10] https://github.com/solid/solid-spec
>

> External Links:
>
> Linked Data Platform 1.0, W3C
> Linked Data Platform 1.0 Primer, W3C
> Linked Data Platform Use Cases and Requirements, W3C
> LDP Implementations, W3C Wiki
> Getting Started with the Linked Data Platform (LDP) – background and
> history during early development
> Introduction to Fedora 4 - Includes Discussion of LDP
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p-MmNgnDCg>
> -Brent Shambaugh
>
> GitHub: https://github.com/bshambaugh
> Website: http://bshambaugh.org/