Re: Linked Data Platform Wikipedia Entry Draft

On 4/18/17 12:53 AM, Brent Shambaugh wrote:
> would suggest replacing "but realized that Tim Berners-Lee's four
> rules for linked data[6] did not go far enough for their purpose" with
> something along the lines of "and realized that Tim Berners-Lee's four
> rules for linked data[6] could be applied to this problem space too."
>
> Why? Because that claim (by whoever made or is making it) is factually
> incorrect, and somewhat nonconstructive.
>
> I need to pull in:
>
> "
>
> The Linked Data article gave simple rules for putting data on the web
> so that it is linked. Then, "Read-Write Linked Data" follows on from
> that to discuss allowing applications to write as well as read data.
> This note adds decentralized access control of reading and of writing
> to linked data.
>
> This can be called "socially-aware" storage, because the access
> control within the storage layer is just powerful enough to implement
> the social requirements of the social network applications. (In the
> current model proves insufficiently powerful to do this, then it could
> be enhanced by adding more inference to the ACL system, and more
> expressivity to the ACL -- or rather policy language -- used to
> express the social constraints). The overall goal is one in which
> storage with the necessary functionality is a ubiquitous commodity,
> and application growth becomes dramatic as the provision of storage is
> decoupled from the design and deployment of applications."
>
> https://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/CloudStorage.html (date 2011/09/27 22:31:21)
>
> "
> and https://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/ReadWriteLinkedData.html
>
> In a larger scope it appears timbl was going for webdav for RWW before
> the LDP WG started, then he later adopted LDP (bringing over Joe
> Presbey and Andrei (the latter knowingly in the LDP WG with Arnaud))..
>
> LDP WG: first recommendation for RWW that I know of
> TimBL: first thinking of RWW that I Know of
> -Brent Shambaugh

Brent,

TimBL's first thinking about a Read-Write Web dates back to the time he
created the Web. He never envisaged the Web as a Read-Only medium.
That's a fallacy emerging from the illusion thrust upon Web users by Web
Browsers (starting with Mosaic!).

TimBL tried using WebDAV at a time when LDP didn't exist. Today, you can
use WebDAV or LDP to achieve his Read-Write goals.

OpenLink Software   (Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com)

Weblogs (Blogs):
Legacy Blog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen/
Blogspot Blog: http://kidehen.blogspot.com