Re: Authorization Delegation & CORS

On 7 Jul 2012, at 15:06, bergi wrote:

> I had a little Skype discussion with Henry about that topic. Here a
> short summary:
>
> Both, delegation and CORS, give you an agent and a secretary which can
> be used for access control. But there are some differences till you get
> a verified agent and secretary:
>
> 			delegation			CORS
>
> authenticated
> object			secretary			agent
>
> secretary
> object type		URI				host
>
> trust relation		property in profile		selecting
> 							a cert*

My table is a bit different. I make the secretary a role, and the role
is that of keeping secrets, and passing them on to another agent. The
secretary deals with messages coming in and out, can see some of them
and makes sure only the right ones get seen by the right agents.

                         delegation                   CORS

authenticated            secretary                  User-agent
agent that forwards    (code typically              ( Browser )
secret message         running on a server)
to another agent

client worked
for (receiving         some other agent            Javascript agent
secreet messages        ( often human )             ( programmed )
indirectly )               (boss)                   ( salesperson,
                                                      external agent )

identifier of              WebID		   all auth types
 secretary              (typically)                 incl WebID

identifier of               WebID		      service
 the agent                                        (protocol:host:port)
receiving secrets

trust relation        :secretary relation        missing (out of band)
                        in profile		   to be added in RDF

> * Works only if the browser opens a new connection for every host that
> uses CORS and asks every time for a cert. We have to check how the
> browser behaves.

Also I disagree with bergi that selecting a cert is how the trust relation
is selected. I don't think that is how CORS works, and I don't think it could
work that way. Because clearly browsers are not equipped to do this right:
imagine you are on some random site browsing a page, and the javascript
there wanted you to connect to your bank asking you to select your identity.
If you were to select it on that site, the browser would have to make clear
to you that you were logging in to the bank, not to the site you were looking
at - which is clearly way beyond the UI abilities of browser vendors .

> For further discussions we should agree to a vocabulary for the
> following stuff:
>
> In the delegation discussion the secretary term is already established.
> Can we also call CORS-Origin secretary?

I tend to think of the CORS-Origin JS as the agent the secretary is working
for. Not sure what a name for that entity is.  In this case it is a foreign
object, so this is more like a client calling the secretary by telephone,
or coming to the office. Here the secretary has to make sure she does not
give the intruder all the information it asks for.

> How do we call the combination of agent + secretary? I will call it this
> email source, which doesn't exactly fit from my point of view.

e-mail? Which agent + secretary?

> This allows us to talk about dimension for the access control stuff. A
> source with the dimension agent+secretary can access a target with the
> dimension resource (and maybe a definition for triples). Also I'm not
> very happy about "target".

yes, those don't seem that easy to understand.

> Some of the CORS discussion was based on this diagram [1]. It's a very
> early version without numbers, good descriptions and terms. But maybe
> somebody wants to use/improve it.

Thanks, I think the parallels are becoming clearer and clearer, making
it easier to understand both.

> [...]
>> 5. Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
>> 6. Accept-Encoding: gzip ,deflate
>> 7. Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
>> 8. Connection: keep-alive
>> 9. *Acting-on-behalf-Of: http://bblfish.net/#hjs*
>> 10. Access-Control-Request-Method: POST
>> 11. Access-Control-Request-Headers: X-PINGOTHER
>> 12.
>> 13.
>> 14. HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>> 15. Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 01:15:39 GMT
>> 16. Server: Apache/2.0.61 (Unix)
>> 17. *Access-Control-Allow-Agent:  **http://bblfish.net/#hjs*
>> 18. Access-Control-Allow-Methods: POST, GET, OPTIONS
>> 19. Access-Control-Allow-Headers: X-PINGOTHER
>> 20. Access-Control-Max-Age: 1728000
>> 21. Vary: Accept-Encoding
>> 22. Content-Encoding: gzip
>> 23. Content-Length: 0
>> 24. Keep-Alive: timeout=2, max=100
>> 25. Connection: Keep-Alive
>> 26. Content-Type: text/plain
>> 27.
>> 28. POST /resources/post-here/ HTTP/1.1
>> 29. Host: bar.other
>> 30. User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1b3pre) Gecko/20081130 Minefield/3.1b3pre
>> 31. Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
>> 32. Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
>> 33. Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
>> 34. Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
>> 35. Connection: keep-alive
>> 36. X-PINGOTHER: pingpong
>> 37. Content-Type: text/xml; charset=UTF-8
>> 38. Referer: http://foo.example/examples/preflightInvocation.html
>> 39. Content-Length: 55
>> 40. *Acting-on-behalf-Of: http://bblfish.net/#hjs*
>> 41. Pragma: no-cache
>> 42. Cache-Control: no-cache
>> 43.
>> 45.
>> 46. *[ NOTE: here WebID Authentication takes place ! ]*
>> 47.
>> 48. HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>> 49. Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 01:15:40 GMT
>> 50. Server: Apache/2.0.61 (Unix)
>> 51. Access-Control-Allow-Origin: http://foo.example
>> 52. Vary: Accept-Encoding
>> 53. Content-Encoding: gzip
>> 54. Content-Length: 235
>> 55. Keep-Alive: timeout=2, max=99
>> 56. Connection: Keep-Alive
>> 57. Content-Type: text/plain
>>

>> *
>> *
>> Having written this out it seems to me that the parallels are very
>> strong here, and that
>> we are dealing within the same logical domain. With WebID authentication
>> we can be a lot
>> more precise as to what the agents are - we don't need to limit
>> ourselves to a whole domain.
>>

>>   Henry
>>

>> [1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en/http_access_control#Origin
>> [2] http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebID/Delegation
>> [3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2012Jun/0012.html
>> [4] The older versions of the standard were called "Access Control for

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/