Re: where to hang the metadata?

From: Christian de Sainte Marie <csma@ilog.fr>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:27:52 +0200
To: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
CC: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, "Boley, Harold" <Harold.Boley@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>, public-rif-wg@w3.org

Michael,

You are right (of course :-) and rule do not have any kind of special
first-class existence in logic. But shouldn't they, nonetheless, have
some kind of first-class existence in a rule interchange format?

Michael Kifer wrote:

> The Rule wrapper is unacceptable from the FLD point of view.
> I am glad that there is FLD to keep us honest :-)
> And this extra wrapper is just bloat that gives nothing.
>
> All this mess indicates to me that the only good solution is our original
> proposal to use Group only. All the talk about the first-class existence
> for rules reminds me medieval disputations about how many devils can fit on
> a needle point.

Or, couldn't "all this mess" indicate that trying to have RIF-FLD cover
FOL is just trying to embrace too much at this stage?

I can envision that there could be a future LIFE WG (logic interchange
format for everyone) chartered to develop a logic dialect framework that
would encompass RIF-FLD (the framework for logic dialects of the rule
interchange format) as a special case for the kind of formulae that some
user/developer communities call "rules"...

Just thinking about what is a reasonable scope for this WG, and where to
stop...

Christian