Re: where to hang the metadata?

> > The following version of it seems to be best for Phase 1 convergence:
> >
> >    1.  Allow metadata, syntactically, on four scope-like objects, via a
> >        elements that create natural scopes:
> >          * Document
> >          * Group
> >          * Forall
> >          * Exists
> >        No need for wrapper elements.  In a normal rule, the Forall
> >        is where you'd hang metadata. You can also give metadata to the
> >        complementary Exists for conditions (queries and constraints).
> >        The PS for the additional metadata-enriched elements is easy:
> >        'Forall' IRIMETA? Var* '(' CLAUSE ')'
> >        'Exists' IRIMETA? Var* '(' FORMULA ')'
>
> It seems odd to have it on Forall and Exists but not Atom and Frame,
> etc.  Ground terms need metadata, too, don't they?     My personal
> preference is to allow it everywhere, and have no wrapper.

Facts that need metadata can be wrapped with Group.
Having metadata on all objects will make the presentation syntax horrible
and is an overkill in my view.

> But I heard others, eg Jos, say that rules are conceptual entities,
> whatever their syntactic structure, and should have first-class
> existance at the management/metadata level.  They may be right, and I
> can certainly live with having it in the language.  Adding an optional
> <Rule> wrapper will make a lot of people happy and do no serious harm,
> IMHO.

The Rule wrapper is unacceptable from the FLD point of view.
I am glad that there is FLD to keep us honest :-)
And this extra wrapper is just bloat that gives nothing.

All this mess indicates to me that the only good solution is our original
proposal to use Group only. All the talk about the first-class existence
for rules reminds me medieval disputations about how many devils can fit on
a needle point.

	--michael