Action 299 - removing sorts

From: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:44:38 -0400
To: public-rif-wg@w3.org (RIF WG)

http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/track/actions/299 has been completed.  Part
of the title of this action says: "handle datatypes as in RDF."  This was
*not* what was resolved at the F2F and was put in there by mistake (I
hope).  Certainly, I would not have agreed to such an action, since I do
not know what this might mean in logic.

Other than that, the main changes are in
http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/Core/Positive_Conditions
http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/Core/Slotted_Conditions (to a much
lesser extent).

Although sorts have been removed, signatures remain. I do not know how
to ensure extensibility without signatures. When you read it, you might
notice the term "signature name". This has nothing to do with "sort names".
Just so that you'd know :-)

It is interesting to observe that some recent msgs on the list
regret that sorts are gone and indicate that the decision may have been
misinformed and hasty. Anyway, this is water under the bridge.

	--michael