Re: Action 299 - removing sorts

Michael Kifer wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/track/actions/299 has been completed.  Part
> of the title of this action says: "handle datatypes as in RDF."  This was
> *not* what was resolved at the F2F and was put in there by mistake (I
> hope).  Certainly, I would not have agreed to such an action, since I do
> not know what this might mean in logic.
>
> Other than that, the main changes are in
> http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/Core/Positive_Conditions

Thank you.

The approach of using signatures to control well-formedness and having
default signatures inferred for Core conditions makes sense to me.

Unless I'm missing something there is nothing in that section concerning
typed literal data values. There seems to be no mention of them in
either the abstract syntax or the semantics, just a list of xsd types at
the front.  Is that material now somewhere else or is it work in
progress or am I just blind? [*]

Similarly whilst the introduction says that IRIs are used to refer to
individuals, predicates and functions the abstract syntax doesn't yet
support that.  [Reasonable at this stage, I'm just noting it so we don't
forget it.]

Minor detail but the section "Signatures in the concrete syntax" seems
out of place. It should have an abstract syntax instead of (or perhaps
as well as) an example concrete syntax and probably needs its own
subsection.

I happened to notice some minor typos recorded below for completeness [**].

Dave

[*] I realize this is correlated with your rejection of the part of the
action concerning handling datatypes "in the same way as in RDF" but I
can't tell form your discussion with Sandro what your alternative is and
what it's status is.

[**] Trivial typos

(1) In the line:
     σ0 has an arrow expression of the form (σ1# ... σ1#) → σ#
presumably that should be: (σ1# ... σn#) → σ#

(2) Under well-formed formulas, two ψ are missing the trailing ;

(3) In "Signatures in the Core RIF Condition Language" the predefined
boolean signatures are labelled bn whereas the rest of document uses pn.

(4) In "Signatures in the concrete syntax" there is an unclosed
fixed-width font shift after "..Const and Var.".

--
Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England