Re: Wiki qualms

From: Christopher Welty <welty@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 19:11:47 -0500
To: public-rif-wg@w3.org

OK - let's put this discussion to rest.  We (the chairs) have heard the
issue and we take it seriously.  I am personally pretty skeptical about
wikis myself, but I am willing to give it a chance and see if there is a
natural and productive place for it to fit.  We will base final decisions
on what happens not on suspicions or predictions.

I completely agree that we need the email trail for most discussions, due
mainly to its relative immutability (for better or worse!).  This is one
of those things that is both a curse and a blessing with wikis.   The
blessing, btw (since it hasn't been mentioned) among other things is that
for collaborative authorship wikis have a (automatic) change tracking
mechanism, which for collaborative HTML authoring is a real nightmare. But
again, we will try to find if there is a way we can make it work for us,
as opposed to trying to "shoehorn" everything in.

-Chris

Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr., Hawthorne, NY  10532
Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055, Fax: +1 914.784.7455
Email: welty@watson.ibm.com
Web: http://www.research.ibm.com/people/w/welty/