Re: Wiki qualms

From: Christopher Welty <welty@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 19:11:47 -0500
To: public-rif-wg@w3.org

OK - let's put this discussion to rest.  We (the chairs) have heard the
issue and we take it seriously.  I am personally pretty skeptical about
wikis myself, but I am willing to give it a chance and see if there is a
natural and productive place for it to fit.  We will base final decisions
on what happens not on suspicions or predictions.

I completely agree that we need the email trail for most discussions, due
mainly to its relative immutability (for better or worse!).  This is one
of those things that is both a curse and a blessing with wikis.   The
blessing, btw (since it hasn't been mentioned) among other things is that
for collaborative authorship wikis have a (automatic) change tracking
mechanism, which for collaborative HTML authoring is a real nightmare. But
again, we will try to find if there is a way we can make it work for us,
as opposed to trying to "shoehorn" everything in.

Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr., Hawthorne, NY  10532
Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055, Fax: +1 914.784.7455
Email: welty@watson.ibm.com
Web: http://www.research.ibm.com/people/w/welty/