Re: Wiki qualms

On Tuesday 20 December 2005 18:58, Bijan Parsia wrote:
<snip>

> However, I think these downsides are counterbalanced by:
> 	a push rather than pull mode of discussion

Irrespective of the other pros and cons, it should be noted that our wiki can
do at least some push. An according RSS-feed is
http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/RecentChanges?action=rss_rc&diffs=1&ddiffs=1&unique=1
(the feed you get from the wiki page is slightly different and only provides
links to the changed pages, which currently have broken URLs and are thus
useless; the above includes the changes in each message). It is not perfect,
but it is a nice start to keep track of what happens in the wiki. You can
also get these things via email (I think it's in your UserPreferences, but I
am not sure).

But I agree that a wiki is not the place for everything, especially not for
discussions. Yet for some tasks, such as creating a glossary, it should be
very helpful. Those who are not familiar with wikis should note that linking
is among the most important features of any wiki. Articles that have little
or no links from any other page are easily ignored, so you should create
numerous links to connect your contribution to the rest (in both directions).
This also greatly helps people to keep track of the wiki's content.

Cheers,

Markus

--
Markus Krötzsch
Institute AIFB, University of Karlsruhe, D-76128 Karlsruhe