Re: Production Logic Programs Approach, in a Nutshell: paper now available

From: Benjamin Grosof <bgrosof@MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Production Logic Programs Approach, in a Nutshell: paper now available
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:53:29 -0500

> Hi Peter,

[...]

> 2. The binding patterns restrictions on sensors are restrictions
> similar in spirit to other pragmatic safety restrictions
> that are found commonly in rule systems, e.g., head-safe or
> negation-safe (or function-free, for that matter).
> Whether this sensor-safety condition is met in all rule bodies can be
> determined statically (before run-time), tractably.  Please can you
> explain: what do you view as the fatal flaw, if any?

Suppose I have a rule set like:

	bindreq @le (bound, bound)
	less(?x,2) <- @le(?x,2)

then I expect, from the virtual KB wording to get at least two results

	less(1,2)
	less(2,2)

but the bindreq changes that so that I get no results.

How can you account for the meaning of the bindreq pragmas?

> Wrt why send out notice of the current version of this PLP paper:
> A number of people in the RIF group (and outside it) had asked for a
> nutshell version paper about PLP ASAP.

Ah, but didn't you consider that a request to have a *finished* version of the
document ready ASAP?    :-)

> Best,
> Benjamin

peter