Re: Forwarded Invite to Discussion of EME at the European Parliament, Oct. 15, 11:00-13:00

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

>>> True, but I would expect that if OMA PDCF ever got traction,
>>
>> What's OMA PDCF and why would it lead to plug-in-like EME CDM distribution?
>
> OpenMobileAlliance.

Oh, I'm familiar with the OMA acronym. It is PDCF that I'm on not
familiar with and didn't find anything definitive by searching on the
Web.

> It's a protection format that's intended to be multi-vendor usable (they include key-exchange, and so on).  It has not got much traction since publication, I admit.

My understanding has been that the RAND licensing maneuvering that
happened around OMA DRM version 2 made OMA DRM version 2 not offer any
advantages over other DRM schemes--especially Marlin. Is my
understanding correct?

Why do you think OMA PDCF  would lead to plug-in-like EME CDM
distribution if OMA PDCF  got traction?

> I am not going to comment on whether Ultraviolet has a good model, etc., I merely note it exists.

There is quite a logic gap between noting that UltraViolet exists and
its leading to plug-in-like EME CDM distribution.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@hsivonen.fi