Re: Trust

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 10:08 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> Again, it doesn't seem to me that the situation is qualitatively different
> as between <object> and EME. It's been claimed that the fact the EME is
> targeted at DRM wheras <object> has wider scope is what makes it
> qualitatively different, but I don't think that really holds water.

It seems that people are more okay with generic things that can also
do things that they disapprove of than with special-purpose things
that only do things that they disapprove of.

Consider the Sony Betamax case. The VCR was considered to be
legitimate, because it had substantial non-infringing uses. At the
time <object> was created, it had substantial non-DRM uses. EME, on
the other hand, doesn't have substantial non-DRM uses.

Personally, I think arguing on a level of principle that <object> is
OK but EME is not is not a particularly good line of argument, since
we're headed very quickly to a situation where <object> has no
substantial non-DRM uses left in practice.

However, as far as practical matters go, what makes <object> less
exclusionary right now  is the broader platform and cross-browser
availability of DRM components that integrate with <object>.  Consider
Microsoft PlayReady on desktop for example. A version that integrates
with <object> is available for Windows from Windows XP all the way up
and including Windows 8.1 and also for Mac, but a  version that
suitable for EME  is only available bundled with Windows 8.1.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@hsivonen.fi