Re: Forwarded Invite to Discussion of EME at the European Parliament, Oct. 15, 11:00-13:00

On Oct 16, 2013, at 10:46 , Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>>> So far, we haven't seen a deployed CDM that is like a plug-in in terms
>>> of the distribution model.
>>

>> True, but I would expect that if OMA PDCF ever got traction,
>
> What's OMA PDCF and why would it lead to plug-in-like EME CDM distribution?

OpenMobileAlliance.

It's a protection format that's intended to be multi-vendor usable (they include key-exchange, and so on).  It has not got much traction since publication, I admit.

>> or as the Ultraviolet ecosystem grows, we might see a change there.
>
> Is the UltraViolet ecosystem growing?

They have a lot of members.

> And even if the UltraViolet
> ecosystem was growing, why would it lead to plug-in-like distribution
> of EME CDMs when the EME/Netflix model makes UltraViolet
> obsolete/moot? (If you generally watch a given movie once, why bother
> with the complexity of UltraViolet when you could instead stream the
> movie once from Netflix and then not worry about file management,
> ownership tracking or whether DRMs change?)

I am not going to comment on whether Ultraviolet has a good model, etc., I merely note it exists.

David Singer