Re: I strongly urge all supporters to reconsider the EME proposal. It is not in your best interests!

(Moving to public-restrictedmedia.)

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> I would say again, though, that arguing in W3C that 'content licenses should
> not require DRM' is not a good use of your time because that decision is not
> made by the W3C or any of its members.

I think the "any of its members" bit isn't quite accurate.

If the major Hollywood studios didn't require DRM, chances are that
the smaller ones would not be in a position to require DRM, either. Of
the Big Six*, Comcast, Sony and The Walt Disney Company are Members of
the W3C with participants at the HTML WG. So that's already half of
them.

Additionally, HBO is a Member with participants at the HTML WG that
both operates a streaming service with exceptionally popular content
and (presumably) holds the rights to the content offered in that
streaming service, which puts them in a position to negotiate DRM
requirements with themselves instead of negotiating with an external
licensor. The BBC is also a Member with participants at the HTML WG,
and although the BBC licenses content from elsewhere, they control a
pretty substantial portfolio of content on their own.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_film_studio#Today.27s_major_studios

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi