Re: I strongly urge all supporters to reconsider the EME proposal. It is not in your best interests!

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Emmanuel Revah <stsil@manurevah.com> wrote:

> On 2013/05/15 17:36, Mark Watson wrote:
>
>> What we are trying to do with EME is to *reduce* the amount of
>> non-standard proprietary technology needed to do this. I would reduce
>> it to zero if I could, I just don't know how to do that.
>>

> My IMHO is that this should be done outside the scope of the W3C. Some say
> it's the same thing, but it's not. Having DRM in the scope of the W3C means
> the W3C has something more to worry about, it also means that any W3C
> respecting browser should support it too, which in turn means telling it's
> users that it's okay to install the non-free bits that websites may propose.

The idea is not that each website request users to install a different CDM,
but that browser vendors decide to integrate with one or more (but
hopefully a very small number) of CDMs and websites pick from that list.
It's explicitly intended that it's websites that should adapt to a mix of
CDMs out there, not users or browsers that should adapt to a mix of website
requirements. [Hence the idea of a common interaction and key exchange
model and common encryption across all CDMs].

> We understand that that all those proprietary plugins that allow you to
> DRM your content are all dying. Because web standards have proven to be
> sustainable and cross platform (except with IE, though I heard it's almost
> compliant), it's only logical that you (Google, MS, Netflix and others)
> look this way for a future proof solution. I get that, 100%, even if I
> don't like it.
>

> What has made the web so popular was the absence of restriction. The web
> is built around sharing knowledge (and cat photos), everything is a remix
> of something else, including this phrase. Now that the Interweb has proven
> to be a good place for commerce walls being built, and now content needs to
> be as unsharable as can be. Having EME in the spec is likely to encourage
> more content producers to restrict access. (Is disabling "right-click copy"
> going to be part of all this ?).

The costs of deploying DRM on the content distributer side remain
significant. I doubt the difference EME makes will weigh heavily on
anyone's decision to use DRM or not.

> So yes, there are ethical and moral reasons to object to EME, and of
> course we wont always agree.
>

> There are also pure technical reasons to think of EME as a waste of time,
> as in that it's already broken. Users will be able to record the streams
> with a simple plugin.

Unlikely in the case that the media pipeline is fully protected.

> Because there's no such thing as streaming content to a user's computer
> and that computer not being able to easily record the stream (except
> perhaps on one of those CloudOSes where the user does not have access to
> the computer). This part is of course debatable and much effort will be
> spent (lost) in trying to make an unbreakable blackbox.

No, noone is under any illusion that some form of the content can be copied
with some effort. You can use an HDCP ripper for anything using HDCP 1.4.

> The truth is likely to be somewhere in the middle, as in some user's still
> can't figure out how to copy text on "JS protected" websites, while others
> can download any video with a single click using a plugin.
>

> There are other technical concerns I've mentioned in other posts like CDM
> trust issues, Free/Open source incompatibilities and some other ethical
> concerns about default in-browser CDMs which would favour certain content
> over other.
>
> I've yet to find answers for the last questions, except for the Free
> Software/Open source question, that we know is plain and simple not
> technically possible.
>

> --
> Emmanuel Revah
> http://manurevah.com

I notice that by the mere act of visiting your site you deem me to have
agreed to some rather restrictive terms (one of which I do happen to agree
to). And yet those very terms dispute the right of others to place far less
imposing conditions on the users of their creative works. Interesting ...