Re: No policy? Re: Is EME usable regardless of the software/hardware I use ?

On 6/6/2013 7:13 PM, Duncan Bayne wrote:
> Jeff,
>
>> when the practice was established to be compatible with open
>> source, it was not an intention that W3C Recommendations must be
>> implementable with every open source license.
> That's a straw-man argument.  The issue is not that the EME proposal is
> incompatible with *any particular* FOSS license, it is that the EME
> proposal is incompatible with *all* FOSS licenses.
>
> Put simply:
>
>   - major content providers will not implement and release CDMs that can
>   be trivially bypassed
>   - a CDM released under *any* FOSS license is, by nature, trivial to
>   bypass
>   - therefore, no major content providers will release CDMs under FOSS
>   licenses
>
> Do you dispute either of those premises, or the conclusion?

I honestly don't know whether content providers (here we mean Hollywood
- because many content providers provide significant content (like
music) without CDMs) will ultimately be satisfied with less strong
restrictions.  We saw over many years an evolution in how music was
released on the Web.  I think we are at the beginning of the discussion
with movies.  A great deal will depend on user behavior.  If the
majority of users refuse to accept DRM protected movies, I think that
content providers will find other approaches - such as breakable,
open-source, DRM.