Re: Is EME usable regardless of the software/hardware I use ?

On 6/6/2013 5:47 PM, Joshua Gay wrote:
> Dear Jeff,
>
> I would like to get your response to my argument in my previous email --
> that the purpose of EME is to deny a user access to data and therefore
> this goes against the fundamental mission of EME.

I don't think I agree with this characterization.

First, I believe that most people would agree that there is nothing
wrong with access control.  So denying a user access to data does not go
against any fundamental mission of W3C.  People don't object to access
control.  They object to the particular way that access control is
performed with DRM.

Second, I don't believe that the purpose of EME is to deny access to
data.  There are existing CDM schemes that manage (or restrict/deny)
access to data.  The purpose of EME is to enhance interoperability by
providing a common means to incorporate such schemes and data into a
user experience - when the user chooses to do so.