Re: W3C mock's users [via Restricted Media Community Group]

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Mhyst <mhysterio@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry David, I was replying directly to your email instead of the list.
> I'll paste my reply.
>
> ---------------------------------------
> OK, I should have be more professional. I agree. I apologize for the
> tone of my post.
>
> But you have to see my point. The so called Member Organizations are
> mostly companies interested in hooking DRM to the web. So it is
> logical that the majority of them agree about getting DRM into HTML5
> standard. The conclussion is that we will have EME in html5 (should we
> like it or not).
>
> I can barely stand that situation... but I am just an individual with
> no influence. So what should I do? Is there anything I can do to stop
> EME?
>
> Thank you for the reply
>

> To that I add the following:
>
> Oh, forget about it. it's OK.
>
> I understand. But big companies are doing that already. That is
> nothing new. Problem is that their platforms are indeed a pain to
> maintain, let alone the money they cost. LOL Of course. If we are
> talking now is because they have figured out a way to cost reduction
> in DRM platforms via a W3C standard. That is the sole thing I'm
> against in this concern.

As a matter of fact, it is going to be *more* expensive for content
distributors to maintain support for the multiple DRMs needed to reach
multiple browsers than just supporting, say, PlayReady as included in
Silverlight. For our part we have to re-write our player in Javascript,
which is also not cheap. The reason we are doing this is the improvement in
the user experience that will result.

I do understand all the reasons people are against DRM on the web and that
some people want to stop DRM on the web. But I remain baffled by why you
think stopping EME in W3C will help with that ? EME is about *constraining*
DRM on the web and subjecting it to more public, open, privacy and security
review. Would it be better, for anyone, if browsers integrate unconstrained
DRMs without any W3C supervision ?

...Mark