Re: Print, monochrome, and high-contrast

From: Mathew Marquis <mat@matmarquis.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 14:54:47 -0400
Cc: public-respimg@w3.org
To: Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>

On Oct 25, 2012, at 2:21 PM, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> Hi all,
> We are still lacking any evidence that show images have been adapted for the following three scenarios/use cases:
>
> * Print

Where there isnít currently any decent solution to a serving up screen/print appropriate images on a single page we canít necessarily point to anything identical, but itís not hard to see where a site like Flickr or SmugMug would be able to make use of this. Iím certain Iíve seen sites that offer reasonably-sized images alongside links to high-resolution images for the sake of printing. Iím hoping others chime in here; Iíll search, in the meantime.

> * monochrome
> * high-contrast

Likewise, itís tough to reliably detect when a user is in high-contrast mode as things stand now, so we might be hard-pressed to find an example of image swapping in the wildówhich is not to say they donít exist, but I donít know of any.

Iíve mostly been using this and ďmonochromeĒ as examples of the inherent flexibility of the media query approach. I think the important thing is to make sure that concept is well represented somehow.