Re: Print, monochrome, and high-contrast

On Thursday, 25 October 2012 at 19:54, Mathew Marquis wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2012, at 2:21 PM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > We are still lacking any evidence that show images have been adapted for the following three scenarios/use cases:
> >
> > * Print
>
> Where there isn’t currently any decent solution to a serving up screen/print appropriate images on a single page we can’t necessarily point to anything identical, but it’s not hard to see where a site like Flickr or SmugMug would be able to make use of this.
Again, this goes without saying :)
> I’m certain I’ve seen sites that offer reasonably-sized images alongside links to high-resolution images for the sake of printing. I’m hoping others chime in here; I’ll search, in the meantime.

Yes please.

> > * monochrome
> > * high-contrast
>

> Likewise, it’s tough to reliably detect when a user is in high-contrast mode as things stand now, so we might be hard-pressed to find an example of image swapping in the wild—which is not to say they don’t exist, but I don’t know of any.
Are there any sites specifically built for users with visual impairments?

> I’ve mostly been using this and “monochrome” as examples of the inherent flexibility of the media query approach. I think the important thing is to make sure that concept is well represented somehow.

Again, no disagreement on the fundamentals. However, the powers that be are asking explicitly for direct evidence of this in the wild:

To quote Hixie [1]:
"Is this a real use case or a theoretical one? Until we didn't support it,
nobody once mentioned that it was a use case they cared about -- they only
mentioned dimensions as being the issue."

If I can't show Hixie that we have at least 1 website, then I can't reasonably expect him to accept this use case.

[1] http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2012-September/037146.html
--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au