Re: Atom 1.0 + RDFa 1.1

Hi Toby,

<staff-contact-hat-on>
I will check whether the group would be authorized to publish a note on something that is not in its charter in the first place. If so, and the group agrees on the content, publishing a Note might be a good idea indeed. (It could also be published jointly with IETF, although that become administratively a bit more complicated)
</staff-contact-hat-on>

From a technical point of view, I must admit I feel a bit uneasy by the fact that the your document requires changes on the processing model. This actually raises a more general issue: we have this model of RDFa Core plus languages, we have (X)HTML and SVG. We have tailored the Core so that the XHTML and HTML part differs only insignificantly from Core (xml:base and such). Processing SVG+RDFa does not require any change on the processing, for example. So the only significant feature added by a particular language is the language specific default profile.

From an implementation point of view, that is then relatively simple. For example I have, somewhere in my program, some mappings that, essentially, attach a media type to a default profile URI, and the rest of the code is oblivious to the details (and, of course, I can then cache a frequently used profile to make it quick). Now, in the case of Atom, your specification requires me to go and change the code where it is the more sensitive to changes, namely the processing model. That can be very awkward for implementations...

Ivan