RE: Sloppy inference rules

From: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 10:50:35 +0100
To: "'Ivan Herman'" <ivan@w3.org>, "'Pat Hayes'" <phayes@ihmc.us>
Cc: "'Guus Schreiber'" <guus.schreiber@vu.nl>, "'RDF WG'" <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
On Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:56 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:

> As Antoine notes, the OWL 2 group has faced the same issue for OWL 2
> RL. I do not see any problem doing that in this case either. I do not
> think we should reopen, at this point, the bnode-in-predicate and
> literal-in-subject issue and, with this, using this 'generalized
> triples for the rules' seems to be the clean approach...

Honestly it sounds a bit strange to me to simply accept that there is a
fundamental problem without trying to address it - especially considering
that the problem has been known since at least 2005 (2002?).
The other thing that worries me even more is the fact that a number of RDF
serialization formats are in the process of being standardized right now. At
least JSON-LD doesn't have this artificial restriction but that was heavily
criticized by the RDF WG and, as it seems at the moment, we will have to
introduce it.

I think there won't be a better point in time to fix this once for all.

Thanks,
Markus