Re: Sloppy inference rules

Le 01/11/2012 10:50, Markus Lanthaler a écrit :
> On Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:56 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:
>
>> As Antoine notes, the OWL 2 group has faced the same issue for OWL 2
>> RL. I do not see any problem doing that in this case either. I do not
>> think we should reopen, at this point, the bnode-in-predicate and
>> literal-in-subject issue and, with this, using this 'generalized
>> triples for the rules' seems to be the clean approach...
>
> Honestly it sounds a bit strange to me to simply accept that there is a
> fundamental problem without trying to address it - especially considering
> that the problem has been known since at least 2005 (2002?).

What problem are you referring to? We know well since 2005, or maybe
earlier, that the rules are not complete. We will fix it.

The bnode-in-predicate and literal-in-subject issues are not problems,
they are simply decisions to restrict the language. We simply will rely
on a more general notion of triples for the rules because the rules are
not describing the language, neither in its syntax nor in its semantics.
It's simply exemplifying a possible implementation of a reasoner, and
implementations are free to use any structure internally, including
generalised triples.

> The other thing that worries me even more is the fact that a number of RDF
> serialization formats are in the process of being standardized right now. At
> least JSON-LD doesn't have this artificial restriction but that was heavily
> criticized by the RDF WG and, as it seems at the moment, we will have to
> introduce it.

We have accepted at the F2F that JSON-LD is able to do more than just
RDF graphs and as far as the persons present at the meeting are
concerned, it seemed to be ok for the WG members. So I don't see a big
issue here.

> I think there won't be a better point in time to fix this once for all.

If by "fix this" you mean allowing bnode in predicate or literal in
subject, then this will not happen during the life time of this WG as it
is explicitly excluded by our charter.

--
Antoine Zimmermann
ISCOD / LSTI - Institut Henri Fayol