Re: Making progress on graphs

On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 19:30 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
> On May 14, 2012, at 10:31 AM, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>
> > 97% agreement, Pat.   Good summary of where we are.
> >
> > On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 01:34 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
> >> Accepting Richard's proposal for syntax, we can try moving on to some decisions for semantics. Here, I think Sandro has a point: there are some large-scale top-down decisions to be made, and until we get these clear, arguing about details will only produce muddle.
> >>
> >> I can discern three main ideas that the WG has produced for a semantics for datasets. All of these treat the default graph as being, well, just a graph, so I will ignore this. They differ in how they interpret the name-graph pairings.
> >>
> >> 1. (Peter) Datasets have no special semantics. People are free to use them however they find most useful. There is no notion of asserting a dataset (or maybe: asserting a dataset is just asserting its default graph.)
> >> 2. (Sandro) Datasets are used to attach names to graphs, so that the name can be used to refer to the graph in other content, in particular, in other RDF. Asserting the dataset is a form of graph baptism.
> >
> > I guess that's okay for a very-short summary.   :-)
> >
> >> 3. (Antoine) Datasets are used to assert graphs in contexts, so that the name indicates a context of interpretation for the IRIs in the named graph. Asserting the dataset is a making a statement in a kind of context logic version of RDF.
> >>
> >> If anyone knows of any others, let them speak now or forever hold their peace.
> >>
> >> I suggest that until we can decide which of these overall pictures is best, any discussion of details of semantics is irrelevant.
> >>
> >> The arguments I have heard for and against are as follows.
> >>
> >> 1. Pro: makes life simple, and allows the world to continue to experiment freely. Con: Allows the world to experiment freely, so blocking interoperability. Does not provide a way to name graphs.
> >> 2. Pro: provides a way to name graphs, which is needed. Con: is not the way that datasets are used in current practice.
> >
> > I think my proposal does align with most of current practice
>
> But Antoine says the same about his idea. Someone must be wrong. Or else, there are entire islands of current practice which are working independently of one another.

I'm not sure they are contradictory.   Antoine's proposal and mine are
both flexible enough to cover current practice.

> > , and the
> > other parts (things like using the primary-subject of a graph as its
> > name) can be explained and handled in my framework.
> >
> >> 3. Pro: corresponds to current actual usage. Con: based on a 'localist' view of IRI meanings which violates current assumptions or maybe best practice (?). Does not provide a way to name graphs. Requires change to RDF semantics.
> >>
> >> FWIW, I observe that the proposal outlined in http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/AnotherSpin  allows one to express Antoine's content while using Sandro's naming semantics, which might be a way to reconcile things.
> >
> > I keep feeling like the context stuff is out of scope and we don't need
> > to solve it now,
>
> I agree it is further out than giving a name to a graph, but (to my own surprise) the NG discussion got involved with contexts right from the beginning (Antoine's idea was there almost from the start of the WG), and it hasnt gone away. So it seems to me that, like it or not, named graphs in practice involves thinking about contexts (If only to say explicitly that naming is not about contexts, because so many people think it is.)
>
> Also, I am more and more coming to think that even if this is slightly outside our charter, it is worth trying to do something about it. The idea of contexts has arisen very centrally in our own discussions, and it is currently very much a topic being widely discussed in the community (eg the entire multi-day workshop I cited previously), and we would be doing the world a favor by doing something about it. For example, several people contributing to the ongoing http-range-14 discussions are simply taking it for granted that IRI meanings depend upon the local context, as though this was simply obvious. (See http://www.jenitennison.com/blog/node/170 : "Like the meaning of a word, the sense that a URI refers to is a social understanding which emerges from use of the URI across the web, and a given URI may be used to refer to different senses in different sources of information or over time."  (blog dated 2012-05-11 20:11)
>
> If enough people think that the world is this way, then it actually is this way, whether we like it or not.

It's not the number of the people, it's the ones who control the code.
Running code is more like the physical universe than the social one.  We
only need to convince them.   (Not that convincing them is easy, but
it's not nearly as hard.)

    -- Sandro