Re: Making progress on graphs

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 22:13:26 +0100
To: public-rdf-wg@w3.org

On 13/05/12 21:54, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> Hi Ivan,
> On 13 May 2012, at 16:15, Ivan Herman wrote:
>> it looks to me that Sandro's draft document:
>> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/d96c16480e42/rdf-spaces/index.html
would be a good way to 'settle' things (see [1]), too.
> Sandro's draft takes explicit position on a *all* issues, many of
> which are highly controversial. By bundling non-controversial and
> controversial issues all into one big package, this blocks progress
> on the sub-issues where we actually seem to all agree. So I repeat:
> PROPOSAL: The abstract syntax for working with multiple graphs in RDF
> consists of a default graph and zero or more pairs of IRI and graph.
> This resolves ISSUE-5 (“no”), ISSUE-22 (“yes”), ISSUE-28 (“no”),
> ISSUE-29 (“yes”), ISSUE-30 (“they are isomorphic”), ISSUE-33 (“no”).

These issues are:

Should we define Graph Literal datatypes?

Does multigraph syntax need to support empty graphs?

Do we need syntactic nesting of graphs (g-texts) as in N3?

Do we support SPARQL's notion of "default graph"?

How does SPARQL's notion of RDF dataset relate our notion of multiple

Do we provide a way to refer to sub-graphs and/or individual triples?