Re: Deprecate most "native" RDF serializations

From: William Waites <wwaites@tardis.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 19:08:26 +0100 (BST)
To: msporny@digitalbazaar.com
Cc: public-rdf-wg@w3.org
On Fri, 04 May 2012 11:25:43 -0400, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> said:

    >>> N3 - we can't deprecate something we never recommended.
    >>
    >> No, but we can stop talking about it. For example the
    >> introduction to Turtle no longer mentions it in the first
    >> sentence ;)

    > I think we not only stop talking about it, but start actively
    > evangelizing against its use and using any opportunity to tell
    > people that mention any of the old "native" RDF serializations
    > that they must not be used anymore.

N3 is the only language that we have for writing arbitrary rules for
RDF. RIF is not widely implemented and DL is insufficiently expressive
for some applications.

Anyway, apart from the unnamed graphs it's basically Turtle, eh?

That doesn't mean we have to mention it prominently in the Turtle docs
or any core RDF specs.

Cheers,
-w

P.S. I think "actively evangelizing against" and "using any
opportunity to tell people that ... they must not" risks being
counterproductive, considered in a social context that is.