Re: Ambiguity of "RDF namespace" - was: Re: Contradicting definitions of "property"

On 4 May 2012, at 15:05, Thomas Baker wrote:
>> [[
>> An RDF vocabulary is a collection of IRIs with clearly established referents intended for use in RDF graphs.
>> ]]
>>
>> Based on that, I'd say:
>>
>> In the RDF context, any set of IRIs that start with the same substring are a
>> namespace. The shared substring is the namespace's namespace IRI. This says
>> nothing about what these IRIs identify or what they dereference to; it's
>> purely a matter of IRI syntax.
>
> Okay, but I read this as strongly implying that a namespace is type of RDF
> vocabulary

I would disagree.

RDF vocabulary: IRIs with clearly established referents intended for use in RDF graphs.

Namespace: IRIs that syntactically start with the same sub-IRI.

It's common for all the IRIs in an RDF vocabulary to be in the same namespace. But that namespace will inevitably contain additional IRIs without established referent. skos:AFSADFASD is a (prefix-abbreviated) IRI in the SKOS namespace, but it is not in the SKOS vocabulary.

> Also, I wonder if this gives me license to speak of the
> "http://www.w3.org/1999/" namespace, "http://purl.org/dc/" namespce,

Of course. People do this all the time — “anywhere in W3C's namespace” and so on.

> "http:" namespace, or even the "ht" namespace...

Not really, as these are not (absolute) IRIs.

> If this really is purely a matter of
> IRI syntax, slipping into saying that there is a conceptual resource called a
> "namespace" denoted by the "namespace URI" seems to muddy the waters.

Right, that's why I didn't say it. Namespace IRIs are just the shared substring. Says nothing about what they denote.

>> It is very common for all IRIs in an RDF vocabulary to be in the same
>> namespace. In this case, it makes sense to speak of the vocabulary's
>> namespace IRI.
>
> How about:
>
>    It is very common for all IRIs in an RDF vocabulary to start with a common
>    substring, or base URI.

Base URI is an inappropriate technical term here. A base URI is a URI used to resolve relative URIs to absolute URIs in documents. (“resolve” in the URI syntax sense, not in the HTTP sense.)

>    In this case, it makes sense to speak of the
>    vocabulary's namespace IRI.  An RDF vocabulary that consists of IRIs
>    starting with a common namespace IRI is, by convention, referred to
>    informally as a "namespace".

Not an appropriate use of the word “namespace”, IMO, see above.

> But if a namespace is a type of RDF vocabulary, as implied above,

In my mind it's not.

> would one not perhaps want to refer to it as an RDF namespace?

Doesn't make sense to me. If namespaces are sets of IRIs, then there's nothing that makes a namespace “RDF-specific”. Sets of IRIs are not specific to a particular data model or representation format.

>> So, you can talk precisely about the ?SKOS namespace IRI? (it is
>> ?http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#?) or the ?SKOS namespace prefix? (it is
>> ?skos?) or the ?SKOS vocabulary? (it contains skos:Concept, skos:broader,
>> skos:prefLabel and so on).
>
> Okay (though to state the obvious, "skos:Concept" is not an IRI).

Pedant! ;-)

>> The wording used in RDF Schema ? ?class X is defined in the Y namespace? ? is
>> sloppy language, IMO. Classes are defined in documents, not in namespaces.
>
> Okay - and rdfs:isDefinedBy points to documents?

Formally it can point to anything. I think pointing it to a document containing the description of the subject is good practice because it's useful — I can look up the definition.

>> You can argue about whether skos:Concept is defined in the SKOS specification
>> or in the SKOS namespace document, but saying that ?it is defined in the SKOS
>> namespace? doesn't really make sense. The IRI of the class X may be in the Y
>> namespace.
>>
>> What is identified by a namespace IRI? It is up to the IRI owner to tell us.
>
> I think it is very important to say this clearly somewhere.

How is this?
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/rdf-concepts/index.html#referents

>> It is a useful convention to do so in the namespace document. In the case of
>> slash namespace IRIs, the namespace IRI coincides with the IRI of the
>> namespace document, so that's what it identifies. In a hash namespace IRI,
>> the IRI of the namespace document is the namespace IRI minus the trailing
>> hash, so the namespace IRI might potentially identify something other than
>> the namespace document. My preferred setup (which differs from early W3C
>> practice) is to have it identify *nothing*, and just talk about the hash-less
>> IRI of the namespace document.
>
> Fine.  Maybe the RDF specs could leave it at: "it is up to the IRI owner to
> tell us", and anything beyond that could be in primers and best practice
> notes.

Well, the terms “namespace”, “namespace prefix” and “namespace IRI” don't really have proper definitions anywhere in the RDF documents, as far as I know. That's because they are sort of just syntax, so there's little justification for explaining them in the Concepts or Schema or Semantics doc. So every syntax document (RDF/XML, Turtle, etc.) defines them again, and only says the minimum needed for the specific syntax. Perhaps the Primer would be a good place, but people don't tend to read it as a reference document. A difficult situation!

What's the first place where people would look for these terms, in your opinion?

Do we need a “Semantic Web Glossary” document?

Best,
Richard