Re: one more comment on STRING_LITERAL2 Re: review comments of N-Triples in the Turtle document

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Andy Seaborne
<andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com> wrote:

> On 20/03/12 18:53, Zhe Wu wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gavin,
>>
>> Thanks very much for your quick response!
>>
>> One small comment. The STRING_LITERAL2 is defined as follows.
>>
>> STRING_LITERAL2   ::= '"' ( ( [^\"\\\n\r] ) | ECHAR | UCHAR )* '"'
>>
>> If I read it correctly, this allows a single quote, among many other
>> things, to be used (as is) inside a pair of double quotes.
>> A user can also put a character of ASCII code 0x12 inside a pair of
>> double quotes.
>

> Did you mean 0x22, a double quote?  0x12 is a control character.
>

>> Maybe we want to restrict it a little bit?
>

> I think the confusion is editorial not a technical change.  It does not mean
> to exclude \" (2 characters).
>
> [^\"\\\n\r] should be [^"\#xA#xD]
>
> BNF does not have it's own escape character rules.  You need to write the
> hex for NL and CR.
>
> It actually says you can't put the letters 'n' and 'r' in directly and it
> excludes \ 5 separate times.  \n is not NL.  It's '\' and a 'n'.

I'm afraid the current Turtle grammar is written using the "What
Yacker parses" version of EBNF. As mentioned years ago it would be
nice to have an EBNF spec other than the little bits of it in XML.
Will clean up.

--Gavin