Re: RDF as a context logic

I think this works for me/us - the english description kind of sounds like my experience of what SPARQL GRAPHs are actually used for.

I'm not yet comfortable with the rdf:accepts mechanism (not uncomfortable either, just not had time to consider it), but it seems broad enough to cover current common usage, without being so vague it's meaningless.

Being of the "scruffy" persuasion I'd would really appreciate it if someone could produce some more extensive concrete examples for some of the usecases, which both they and Pat agree captured the spirit of this text?

Cheers,
   Steve

On 13 Mar 2012, at 04:49, Pat Hayes wrote:

> The trouble with thinking hard is, you are sometimes obliged to change your mind. After sending that howl from the benches earlier today regarding treating RDF as a context logic and how terrible that idea was[1] , I started to think about it, Antoine's elegant semantic trick, Andy's idea of islands (islands of coherence?) and the whole notion of importation as a way of linking ontologies, and I think I can see a kind of grand plan of how to put all this together. This might be overly ambitious, but I will try to sketch it out here as fully as I can to see how acceptable it might be. It turns out to be very like an old idea of Graham Klynes from twelve (!!) years ago  [2]
>
> The idea is to say, right up front, that RDF is a context logic. That is, *every* RDF graph (triple?) is understood to be asserted 'in' some context or other (and so any RDF that is lying around loose, as it were, is not actually asserted at all, but is just kind of on display or held up for examination.) So these 'contexts' are the way that RDF stuff actually gets asserted. This logic has Antoine's semantics [7], so the truth of a triple is determined by the context it is in. (In case this sounds too revolutionary, read on: it is all back-compatible.)
>
> What is a context ?
>
> A context is an abstract 'thing' that represents an agreement on the meaning of some set of IRIs, so to assert something in a context is to publicly assemnt to (and agree to be bound by) this agreement about meanings of the IRIs belonging ot the context. (For exactly how this agreement is displayed or recorded, see below.) A context is identified by an IRI, of course. A context is not a graph, in general (although a graph can be used as a context.)
>
> Contexts are individuals which can be put into context classes, have properties, etc.. and there is a special relation between them called 'acceptance' (name?) so that A rdf:accepts B means that context A includes all the vocabulary of B and all the assumptions about it that B makes, and maybe some more. This is very like (at least it is semantically) having a graph A include an owl:imports B statement, but it isn't intended to have the meaning of actually physically copying, just that to agree with A means you must also agree with B. You can treat this as a kind of inheritance (a class inheritance if you think of a context as being the set of names and assumptions made about the vocabulary, but no need to go there) and if you do, then it is multi-inheritance in general: a given context can accept a number of other contexts. So the global picture is of a bunch of contexts related by rdf:accepts forming a DAG rather than a tree. This rdf:accepts is what Cyc, with its inimitable grasp of human readability, calls '#$genlMt' [3], and as I say, it is very analogous to owl:imports, if we think of an OWL ontology as being a context.

> [...]

Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK
+44 20 8439 8203  http://www.garlik.com/
Registered office: Landmark House, Experian Way, NG2 Business Park, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England NG80 1ZZ