Re: [TURTLE] Turtle Inverse Properties

On 2012-08-20, at 14:20, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> On 8/20/12 8:43 AM, Steve Harris wrote:
>> Just because I don't write Turtle by hand very often doesn't mean other people shouldn't.
>>
>> Though, to be honest I think we (RDF users) either are past that point, or should be. Writing HTML by hand went out of fashion rather quickly when the web took off, but it was critical to getting it there. IMHO.
>>
>> - Steve
>
> We have to teach RDF by encouraging folks to craft Turtle by hand, as a first step. Making triples visible is the key to

No we don't. I've taught RDF to a pretty significant number of people now, and I (now) start with a SPARQL database, with pre-written data in it.

Making triples visible is important though.

> this endeavor. Historically, as exemplified by RDF/XML, losing the triple in syntax ultimately loses the plot. IMHO., HTML with RDFa or Micordata embeded don't address this fundamental issue, neither does JSON-LD (which is for JS developers).
>
> The value of TimBL's point is best appreciated once there's acceptance of the notion that folks (profile: end-user and/or integrator / tech plumber) will ultimately start the Linked Data journey by crafting Turtle by hand.

Perhaps - that's not really an argument in favour of is … of though, that's an argument for making it as simple to read/write as possible IMHO.

Reversing the direction of a triple is definitely an advanced requirement, and not likely to make Turtle easier for novices to read.

As an evidence point, look at the confusion around @rev in RDFa. e.g. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9356293/in-rdfa-is-it-legal-to-use-the-rev-with-property

> Unlike HTML, crafting Turtle by hand is both useful and extremely practical.

I don't think there's any difference in the utility. I handcraft about as much HTML as Turtle. My CV is maintained in HTML (with RDFa in it actually) for example.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO
Garlik, a part of Experian