Re: [JSON] Elephant in the room

From: Peter Frederick Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:26:37 -0400
To: <sandro@w3.org>
CC: <nathan@webr3.org>, <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [JSON] Elephant in the room
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:03:59 -0500

[...]

> I think of this as a close cousin to the "object-relational impedance
> mismatch"....
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-relational_impedance_mismatch
>
> ... and sometimes I just call it that.   Many of the items listed on
> that page don't apply, so many just "impedance mismatch" in the RDF
> context is good enough.  I think I first heard that term applied to this
> problem by Dave Reynolds.

[...]

>    -- Sandro

As someone who vaguely remembers the birth of the object-oriented
paradigm, I wish that people would make a distinction between the
paradigm itself and its incarnation in a particular programming language
or even any current object-oriented programming data model or style.

In fact, as far as I can remember, the original object-oriented paradigm
wasn't about data *at all*, but instead was about completely opaque
objects that interacted only via method invocation.  (See
http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~ram/pub/pub_jf47ht81Ht/doc_kay_oop_en for
an interesting exchange about this topic.)  Of course, some early
incarnations of the object-oriented paradigm ended up using LISP
property lists, but this was mostly a matter of implementation.

peter