SPARQL update with blank nodes

From: Peter Frederick Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:36:02 -0400
To: <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
CC: <alexhall@revelytix.com>
So now I don't understand SPARQL 1.1 Update, which states

Deleting triples that are not present, or from a graph that is not
present will have no effect and will result in success. *Using a new
blank node in a delete template will lead to nothing being deleted, as
the new blank node cannot match anything that already exists.* [emphasis
added]

because blank nodes *do* match, as per SPARQL 1.1 query.

peter