Re: Deprecation of X

From: Jeremy Carroll <jeremy@topquadrant.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 12:04:50 -0700
To: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
CC: nathan@webr3.org, RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
On 4/8/2011 5:27 AM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> At the Stanford workshop there was a lot of talk about “weak deprecation”, meaning something like: Conforming implementations MUST still support it, but newly created data SHOULD NOT use it. There is no intention of removing the feature entirely in a future version of the spec.

I believed I coined the term for the workshop, and the difference
between this and deprecation as in Sandro's quote was simply the lack of
intent to remove the feature in a future version - and hence a
recognition that systems would continue to use these features for a while.
e.g. we may decide that rdf:parseType="Resource" is a bad thing, but at
least one company has a lot of code that generates it, and they may not
change that code, ever. So new systems should be designed to not
depending on the deprecated features, but pre-developed systems may
continue to generate data using deprecated formats

Jeremy