Re: CURIE objections in HTML5+RDFa

From: Toby A Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:36:41 +0000
To: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org
Henri Sivonen wrote:

> I suggest using the built-in key-value mechanisms of various popular
> file formats ((X)HTML, PNG, JPEG, Ogg, PDF, MP4, ID3, etc.) to encode
> author, license URI and, optionally, a non-author attribution name and
> attribution URL inside each file

However not all popular file formats *have* a suitable built-in key-value
mechanism. Examples:

	text/plain
	image/gif
	text/css
	text/x-comma-separated-values

Another problem with this suggestion is the bandwidth it requires. Why
should someone need to download a 200 MB video file to determine its
licence? Given that a web page referencing, linking to or embedding the
video file exists (as that's how I found the video), and given that the
aforementioned web page may already mention the video's licence as human-
readable prose, why not allow the licensing information on that web page
to be machine-readable too and save tools a big download?

--
Toby A Inkster