Re: RDFa and Web Directions North 2009

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:01:47 +0200
Cc: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Michael Bolger <michael@michaelbolger.net>, public-rdfa@w3.org, RDFa mailing list <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
On Feb 16, 2009, at 11:20, Ivan Herman wrote:

> I would like to have one point of clarification, if I may...
>
> Henri Sivonen wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> This problem can be addressed by using absolute URIs instead of
>> CURIEs
>> and phasing out CURIEs by declaring xmlns:http="http:" on the XML
>> side
>> during the transition. (If that makes the predicates annoyingly long,
>> what you have is a fundamental problem with the idea of using URIs as
>> identifiers as opposed to using them for application-level
>> addressing on
>> the Internet. In that case, you should address that problem
>> directly on
>> the level of the RDF model instead of trying to push the annoyance
>> around syntactically.)
>>
>> If you wish to get new features added to HTML5 and the proposed
>> syntax
>> depends on element or attribute names that contain the colon
>> (xmlns:foo
>> in this case), you are just asking for trouble because the colon is
>> special in XML but not in text/html (and if you ask making it
>> special in
>> text/html, too, you are asking more than just adding a few
>> attributes).
>>

> Your approach is to phase out CURIE-s altogether on technical grounds.
> However, isn't it correct that those issues disappear if the current
> @xmlns:ABCD mechanism is exchanged against a @prefix="ABCD=blabla"
> approach?

Yes, the DOM Consistency issue would disappear if, and only if, also
the XHTML side used @prefix instead of @xmlns:ADCD.

(It would leave the problem that prefix-based indirection in itself
confuses people--sometimes in bug-inducing ways. See for example:
http://dev.ctor.org/soap4r/ticket/179
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=454391&aid=924041&group_id=48863
)

--