Re: RDFa and Web Directions North 2009

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:20:26 +0100
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
CC: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Michael Bolger <michael@michaelbolger.net>, public-rdfa@w3.org, RDFa mailing list <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Henri,

I would like to have one point of clarification, if I may...

Henri Sivonen wrote:
[snip]

> This problem can be addressed by using absolute URIs instead of CURIEs
> and phasing out CURIEs by declaring xmlns:http="http:" on the XML side
> during the transition. (If that makes the predicates annoyingly long,
> what you have is a fundamental problem with the idea of using URIs as
> identifiers as opposed to using them for application-level addressing on
> the Internet. In that case, you should address that problem directly on
> the level of the RDF model instead of trying to push the annoyance
> around syntactically.)
>
> If you wish to get new features added to HTML5 and the proposed syntax
> depends on element or attribute names that contain the colon (xmlns:foo
> in this case), you are just asking for trouble because the colon is
> special in XML but not in text/html (and if you ask making it special in
> text/html, too, you are asking more than just adding a few attributes).

Your approach is to phase out CURIE-s altogether on technical grounds.
However, isn't it correct that those issues disappear if the current
@xmlns:ABCD mechanism is exchanged against a @prefix="ABCD=blabla"
approach? Although details of this alternative are not yet fixed, it is
under discussion in the group and many RDFa tools (including my
distiller) already implements a variant of this.

Thanks

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153