Re: Why bound prefixes are an anti-pattern in language design

From: Martin McEvoy <martin@weborganics.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 03:05:10 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>, Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>, Othar Hansson <othar@othar.com>, RDFa Developers <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Danny Ayers wrote:
>
>> 2009/8/7 Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>:
>>
>>> Microdata (in HTML5) has unambiguity and consistency without
>>> sacrificing the ease of use, at least not from the use of prefix
>>> binding mechanisms.
>>>
>> I honestly hope you are right - but the evidence I've seen so far
>> suggests microdata is a cargo cult rendition of RDF.

Indeed!

> Could you elaborate on that?
Three things one must do to avoid becoming a Cargo Cult scientist...

1, " researchers must first of all avoid fooling themselves"

   Reverse DNS Identifiers[1], They are just backwards urls right![2]  I
cant think of a single advantage over regular url's unless you think
authors don't understand a them?

   [1]
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#valid-reversed-dns-identifier
   [2]
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#selecting-names-when-defining-vocabularies

2, "be willing to question and doubt their own theories and their own
results"

   'Prefixes are an anti-pattern and notoriously hard for authors to
understand' [3]  .
   'I have to admit to not really sharing your optimism that the future
of  the Web involves HTML authors describing things in machine-readable
ways' [4]  ( I nearly fell of my chair when I read that )

  [3]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2009Aug/0035.html
  [4]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2009Aug/0062.html

  Ian you *have* seen this ? :
http://www.ted.com/talks/tim_berners_lee_on_the_next_web.html Its
probably a good a place to start If you somehow missed how important
linked data is?

3, "investigate possible flaws in a theory "

  The whole of your design concept (linking machine data together
causing a long string "foo.example.directory.page#" ) was discussed in
depth over on Microformats New around two and  a half years ago[3] but
if you had talked to somebody about your "Idea" maybe someone could have
stopped you from wasting your time, in short It was generally thought of
as a bad Idea.

   [3]
http://www.mail-archive.com/microformats-new@microformats.org/msg00391.html

> If there are specific concerns I could allay,
> either by addressing them in the specification or by some other means, I
> would be more than happy to do so.

Danny is ever so cryptic..

Best wishes

--