Re: Why bound prefixes are an anti-pattern in language design

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Danny Ayers wrote:

> I guess I should have been clearer about my rationale for bugging you on
> this Ian: I reckon the Web of documents is transitioning to a more
> general Web of data. For things to go smoothly HTML should at least have
> minimal support for describing things in a form computers can understand
> (yup, in many ways this is orthogonal to what browsers currently do).

HTML5 has a number of mechanisms to do this:

   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#HTML5_should_support_a_way_for_anyone_to_invent_new_elements.21

But I have to admit to not really sharing your optimism that the future of
the Web involves HTML authors describing things in machine-readable ways.
It seems like the data parts of the Web and the markup parts of the Web
work best when they exist independently (e.g. consider how Twitter has
managed to have a massive ecosystem based on its Web of data, all driven
from separate JSON sources with entirely separate APIs than the data and
APIs exposed and used by what is more conventionally considered the
Twitter Web site).