Re: ISSUE-103: substantive issue that requires opinion + discussion

The issue is to use something like cu:prefix:suffix instead of
[prefix:suffix] for safe CURIE-s.

The argument being

"the [...] syntax effectively introduces a new kind of URI - it extends
the URI space"

I am not a big fan of the [...] syntax either, I must admit, but I
consider it as a, well, necessary evil. So the proposal has some merit,
that is for sure.

But... the problem is that, in my view, CURIE-s do _not_ introduce a new
kind of URI. From hindsight, calling them CURIE-s (Compact URI) may have
been a mistake because it suggests that. CURIE-s are some kind of macros
and not URI-s. (Maybe we should call them URI Macros (URIM), but that is
too late.) The syntax proposed by Jonathan sort of reinforces the
(mistaken) view that these _are_ special URI-s. By the way, Jonathan
says (as a pro argument):

"it would eliminate the need for a new URIor[safe]CURIE datatype since
you could just use URI"

Which, in view of what I said, is not really true or maybe misleading.

Note that Jonathan also raises some points whose validity I cannot
really judge at the moment. Is there really a possibility to use a
relative URI spelled [...], for example? Or a future expansion of the
URI space that include [...]? I have no example right now for the
former, but we indeed cannot exclude the danger of the latter. That one
is, for me, the most compelling argument of his proposal.

Ivan