Re: Comments on the latest version of the syntax document

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:12:26 +0000
To: "Ivan Herman" <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: "Shane McCarron" <shane@aptest.com>, "Ben Adida" <ben@adida.net>, "W3C RDFa task force" <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Hi Ivan,

Right, since that is how @profile is used already in HTML and XHTML.

> The counterargument to that might
> be that '...vocab#' clearly refers to the XTHML values and the fact that
> these values are really defined by the XHTML group, whereas the current
> @profile value is independent. I know this is not a very strong argument.

With respect it's a very bad argument. :) It overloads @profile to
mean something different to what it means in HTML and XHTML. I would
think that the XHTML 2 Working Group would have something to say on
that.

And my point is that given that we have a URL that 'works' in a way
that is consistent with @profile, why not use it.

> Let the group decide on that. I wish this was the only major issue to be
> solved!:-)

It's an important one though, because it is is a reflection of our
attitude to XHTML; are we building on top of it, or are we changing
whatever we feel like changing?

> > since 'absolute URIs' don't have fragment identifiers. I'm using the
> > terminology from RFC 3986 very precisely, here, and since the meaning
> > of 'absolute URI' runs slightly counter to what one might think it
> > means in common parlance, I've removed all references to it from the
> > document, and replaced it with 'full URI'.
> >

> Oops, I missed that one. Let us see what you will come up with:-)

Well...it will be exactly that...that the 'base URI' that is used to
kick off processing will NOT contain a fragment identifier.

Regards,

Mark

--
  Mark Birbeck, formsPlayer