Re: status of non-prefixed values in @rel

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:41:52 -0600
To: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>
CC: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@formsPlayer.com>, RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

XHTML 2 is a spec the XHTML 2 Working Group is currently developing.  It
has nothing to do with the RDFa task force, except that I assume the
output of this task force will somehow get folded into that effort.
Let's (please) ignore XHTML 2 for the purposes of this discussion.

The XHTML 2 Working Group, as part of this task force, has also
developed an XHTML Modularization 1.0 compatible module (xhtml-rdfa)
that supports the markup the task force has defined.  That module, when
used in conjunction with other XHTML M12N modules, has been used by the
task force to create XHTML+ RDFa, the markup language.  The normative
definition of that new module is included in the rdfa-syntax
specification (see chapter 9) because it is a normative part of the
language we are defining, and because otherwise we would have been
dependent on an external document (a separate rec-track XHTML-RDFa
module).

So yes, I do think there is a little editorial confusion here.  There is
only one document that defines XHTML+RDFa normatively today.  That
document is RDFa Syntax.

I suppose the remaining issue is whether this XHTML-compatible module
needs to define its reserved values for @rel, @rev, and @property.  The
opinion of the XHTML 2 Working Group has been that those values must be
normatively defined, but I would be happy to re-raise the issue with
them if the task force feels there is new information that makes it
compelling the reserved values not be a normative part of the
recommendation.