Re: Validation Update: success!

Hi,

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:13:29 +0100, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
wrote:

> Ben Adida wrote:
>> Okay, but if you use the RDFa DTD, then you clearly intend RDFa, right?
>> Otherwise, you're saying that @profile is the only way to provide
>> semantics. That seems a bit too GRDDL-centric a view.

If you mean semantics in the sense of how to transform the (X)HTML into
RDF, then yes, that seems sensible to make  RDFa consistent with GRDDL.
Can you explain what the disadvantage  would be of doing so? Neither the
HTML spec, nor GRDDL, afaict, mandate that you /have/ to dereference the
profile uri to perform the transformation - it is, I think, sufficient to
recognise the profile uri. So being 'GRDDL-centric' doesn't mean that you
have to discard the DOM context.

> As to how we know some document contains RDFa annotation that can be
> transformed into RDF.... Personally I think that the DOCTYPE is an
> excellent indicator, assuming we provide a well known DOCTYPE name.  A
> well known profile can't hurt, but DOCTYPEs are well understood, and
> browsers know to look at them, and validators do too.

   I still don't understand why a DOCTYPE should mandate RDFa content.
Shane, you were pretty convincing that DTDs indicate syntax rather than
semantics. DOCTYPEs /are/ well understood, but for validating SGML rather
than determining semantics or triples generation. And the syntax and
semantics of RDFa in XHTML are not inseparable. You could need to change
the rules for triples generation in RDFa, but the essential syntax
(insofar as the DTD is concerned) need not change.

So, if, philosophically, DTDs are syntactic rather than semantic, and
practically, invisible to javascript and XSLT, what is the advantage in
de-aligning RDFa from GRDDL by intending they be used to convey RDFa
semantics?

Yours,

Keith